June 8, 2010

A Small Obsession

I love things that are small. Mini M&M's, baby spoons and especially really tiny pictures. I wanted a way to display my teeny photobooth shots from my recent trip to Chicago, so I checked out my surroundings to see what I could dream up.

Enter these:



And here's how to make 'em.


You'll need:



First, brush off your spool. Any dirt or dust on it will keep your tape and embellishment from sticking.

Next, put some adhesive on your spool. I used my ATG gun, but if you want to wait for it to dry, I'm sure you can use regular old glue also. Turn your spool glue-side down onto your scrap of patterned paper.



Trim around your paper, then sand off the rough edges. Ink with distress ink.

Next, add the decoration of your choice using double-sided tape. I used some washi tape and Pink Paislee artisan tape and ribbon pleats.


Finally, stick your memo pin into the wood of the spool so it will stay put. Embellish with tiny things like stars, words, brads, rhinestones, flowers, etc, and add your picture.


And there you have it! Mini photo holders. I also think they'd be cool for holding place cards, ATC's or anything else you can dream up.



xoxo,
Steph W.

29 comments:

LollyChops said...

I totally love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Ruth said...

What a great idea! Love this!

Zarah said...

That is adoooorable!

Karen said...

cute project. thanks for sharing!

kathleen said...

These are adorable! Will have to try!!!! tfs

coolkids said...

super cool!

Scrapamum said...

These are soooo cute!

Sarah Martina said...

OMG I wanna do this! SO sweet!!!

Michelle LaPoint Rydell said...

Fantastic idea! What a great little gift these would make - thanks Stephanie!

Danielle said...

These are so cute!

Debbie said...

soooo creative. these are gorgeous miss steph !~

Teaque said...

This is seriously cute! You might also like these mini albums Leigh Ann makes once you are done with displaying them. http://www.flickr.com/photos/frecklednest/sets/72157601525293351/
Her shop is currently closed, but maybe she has a few still laying around she'd sell. Her blog is http://frecklednest.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i LOVE these! thank you! i'm gonna make some for me and some for my mom, and my sister, and... what are ATC's, please? katy-smith@ouhsc.edu

Colleen said...

Love these. They are too cute!

Unknown said...

love, love, can i say LOVE these???? 8-)

Kathy Martin said...

What a fabulous and creative idea! LOVE them! :)

Keely Livings said...

OMG, Steph! These couldn't be any cuter!

Taj White said...

extremely adorable and creative!

Andrea Ancich said...

Steph.... these are totally cute!
good thing i have some wooden spools laying around...

MichelleB said...

Just fabulous! How handy that I just got an order of those thread spools! Can't wait to try this. :)

Christine Schmidt said...

Steph....These are way tooo cute...FABULOUS idea!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Amy said...

That is darling! Now I want to go to a hunt down some wooden spools.

wendy smedley said...

I love all things mini-- fabulous project

Audrey said...

I love these! I made some today and posted them on my inspiration blog. I linked back to this post so you get the credit!

http://eyeinspires.blogspot.com/2010/06/tiny-spool-displays.html

~*~Patty said...

Fabulous idea, many thanks for the tutorial and for sharing!
I found you at "Deze is ook leuk" blog that features great ideas from all over the globe :)

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

Wow. What a creative idea!!!I posted them on my inspiration blog. I linked back to this post so you get the credit!
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs from Brazil

jesslope said...

love this idea. i just started collecting spools. and i can't wait to try this. thanks so much.

jesslope said...

thank you so much for this post. i also did it. and love the way they turned out. check out here :
http://lifeinprogress-jesslope.blogspot.com/2011/02/spools.html

Unknown said...

these are so darling!
abranconier.blogspot.com